The History of the Capital Press
Capital Press is a weekly newspaper and website based in Salem, Ore., that covers agriculture across the West.
Founded in 1928 as the Hollywood Press — named for a pastoral section of North Salem — its publisher, A.M. Church, focused on state government. Four years later, the paper became Capital Press and called itself a statewide weekly paper.
In 1946, Church sold the paper to Henry Hanzen, a Portland lawyer, and Dewey Rand Sr., a native of Baker County, Ore., and Portland insurance agent who had been active in Democratic politics in the 1930s.
In that post-World War II era, Rand and Hanzen refocused Capital Press on covering the diverse agriculture of the Willamette Valley and built a thriving classified advertising business.
Rand eventually bought out Hanzen and officially retired in 1985 at age 86.
Rand’s son, Dewey Rand Jr., joined Capital Press in 1955 and worked in all phases of the paper — advertising, circulation, reporting and editorial writing. He eventually succeeded his father as publisher. With his longtime general manager, Bill Anderson, Dewey Rand Jr. stretched Capital Press coverage into Washington state and, in the late 1980s, into Idaho.
Over time Capital Press has became the pre-eminent agricultural newspaper in the Pacific Northwest and Northern California.
In 1991, Dewey Rand Jr. sold the paper to the Forrester and Aldrich families, owners of the East Oregonian Publishing Co., now called the EO Media Group. Mike Forrester became editor of Capital Press in 1990, adding publisher to his title a few years later.
Forrester retired in 2003 and Elaine Shein was publisher and editor until 2008 when she was succeeded by Mike O’Brien as publisher and Joe Beach as editor. Mike O’Brien retired as publisher in December 2016 and was succeeded by John Perry, and soon after Joe Beach became editor & publisher in 2017.
Capital Press is recently relocated to 2870 Broadway St NE, Salem, OR 97303.